Weinböhla - A village with history and future
Weinböhla was first mentioned officially under the name Bel in the feudal book by Friedrich the Strict from 1349/1350. The old church Martinskirche was probably also built right in the village centre at that time. Architecturally, the village centre is still shaped as a so-called Rundling, where all buildings are arranged around a central place of interest.
On the occasion of the celebration of Weinböhla’s 650th anniversary, the chronicles of the village were published.
The village was first mentioned as Weinböhla in 1513. Most probably, the name relates to the tradition of wine-growing, which could be established due to the village’s climatically advantageous southern hillside location. In addition to agriculture and wine-growing, lime stone mining gained importance between 1793 and 1870.
At the turn of the century, the village structure as it exists today, started to develop. Between 1890 and the beginning of World War I, building activity in Weinböhla was at a very high level and the whole upper part of the village was built.
The cheap building land and the proximity to the cities Dresden and Meißen, as well as the convenient transport connections and the beautiful countryside encouraged many well-off families to settle down in Weinböhla. The village was also declared to be a climatic spa by the Kaiserliche Gesundheitsamt Berlin, a national institution which was concerned with health and well-being.
After the harsh times of the post-war period and the inflation had been over, the new town hall and another two housing estates were built in 1927. Finally, in 1931 Weinböhla the first direct tram connection between Weinböhla and Dresden was established.
The cultivation of asparagus in the 1920s and 1930s and the intensive cultivation of fruit and vegetables have been important economical factors until today.
Extensive building activity, refurbishment of the historic village centre, modernization of the village’s infrastructure and the realization of a new traffic concept have been projects in Weinböhla since 1990. Furthermore, the village is increasingly gaining importance and attractiveness for citizens and guests as a number of improvements, such as the redesigning of the square Rathausplatz and building of new facilities of accommodation and housing, have been made.
The legendary restaurant Zentralgasthof, Weinböhla’s architectural masterpiece with its famous ballroom, which had been in a disastrous and ruinous state, was refurbished in 1999. The Zentralgasthof has again become Weinböhla’s cultural trademark and is also home of the tourist information. Furthermore, as the most conspicuous architectural ensemble at the Kirchplatz, the Zentralgasthof contributes strongly to the characteristic appearance of the village. The latter also applies to the Nassauhalle, a modern gym with two fields, which was built on the grounds of the former canning factory and officially opened in 2003. In 2004, the Nassauhalle received one of three comparable prices of the Sächsische Holzbaupreis, a fact which undoubtedly reflects the architectural quality of the building in terms of urban development.
The village pond has today lost its original economical significance and is now included into a beautiful park which invites its visitors to spend some time relaxing. The pond is filled by the Gabenreichbach, which was uncovered in the course of the redevelopment of the pond.