The monument Draisstein was donated and put up in 1912 by Wilhelm Wiesner, a cultural technician who was also involved in building the tower Friedensturm. A cyclist club called VINO, which had already existed since the end of the 19th century in Weinböhla, was joined by another cyclist club (called Freies Ziel) in 1906. The growing popularity of cycling gave reason to the erection of a monument for the inventor of the bicycle. The monument was inaugurated on May 12th, 1912 with active participation of the members of the two bicycle clubs and the inhabitants of Weinböhla.
Karl Friedrich Drais, Baron of Sauerbronn, was born on April 29th, 1785 in Karlsruhe. He also died in Karlsruhe on December 10th, 1851. In 1817, he invented a steerable two-wheeled vehicle which he called Laufrad as it is driven by moving the feet similar to the way we walk. He filed the patent application in 1818 and the vehicle became known all over the world as Draisine. The Draisine is today considered to be the ancestor of our bicycle.
Already in 1813, Drais constructed a four-wheeled vehicle which was used as a track vehicle for the service of rails and is also known as Draisine(handcar). In 1820, Drais developed a typewriter with 16 keys.