Historical centre of the village Weinböhla
According to a book from 1350 by Margrave Friedrich the Strict, Weinböhla had existed for more than 650 years and used to be called Bel at that time.
However, the fact that the territory of Weinböhla had already been settled long before is generally accepted. According to archeological findings from approximately twenty excavation sites, settlements can be dated back several thousand years. Shortly after the beginning of our time, the Hermunduren, a West-German tribe, lived in this area. In the fourth century, they started mixing with the tribe the Thüringer.
During the migration of peoples, a tribe of west Slavs, the Sorben, started settling in our area, which they called Daleminze. The name Bel, which could be translated as white or bright and might refer to the bright and sunny location and to the colour of the soil, originates from this period. Another remainder of that time is the characteristic structure of the village centre, which forms a so-called sorbischer Rundling. The houses and farms are laid out ovally around the church and the village’s pond. This special structure is supposed to originate from the way the carriages or corrals used to be parked when the tribes had not yet settled down at one particular place. Originally, twenty-four farms existed. However, starting from 1150, the settlement of Franconian and Flemish farmers increased and eventually the structure of the sorbische Rundling broke up.
While a square still remained as the centre of Weinböhla, the village was extended by a large number of houses with two streets leading northwards.